Why should you be using coconut oil versus any other type of oil? Because it can:
- Help you lose weight, or maintain your already good weight
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Lower your cholesterol
- Improve conditions in those with diabetes and chronic fatigue
- Improve Crohn's, IBS, and other digestive disorders
- Prevent other disease and routine illness with its powerful antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agents
- Increase metabolism and promotes healthy thyroid function
- Boost your daily energy
- Rejuvenate your skin and prevent wrinkles
In short, after unjustly getting lumped in the "no-fat" craze of past decades, coconut oil is now starting to get the respect it deserves as not only the healthiest oil you can consume, even superior to olive oil which contains trans-fat, but as one of the most nutritious of all foods.
You should definitely consider switching to coconut oil exclusively for all your sautéing and cooking needs. Coconut oil contains the healthy (and weight reducing!) form of saturated fat, it does not form dangerous trans fatty acids that even olive oil does, and it is far healthier than the other vegetable oils out there.
You should be absolutely certain, however, of the quality and effectiveness of whatever coconut oil brand you choose. There is a very wide variance in terms of the types of coconuts, the manufacturing processes used to make the oil, and more, which will have a major impact on the healthiness and effectiveness your coconut oil. I'm currently looking for more sources.
Randy Schaetzke, D.C., D.I.B.A.K.